France orders evacuation of tourist spot as hundreds flee wildfires by boat

France orders evacuation of tourist spot as hundreds flee wildfires by boat - BBC News
World News

France orders evacuation of tourist spot as hundreds flee wildfires by boat

- 3 min read - Source: BBC News
TOP SUMMARY

Tens of thousands of people are being evacuated from the tourism destination west of Bordeaux, as firefighters continue to battle wildfires that have...

Related topics

Key points

  • Tens of thousands of people are being evacuated from the tourism destination west of Bordeaux, as firefighters continue to battle wildfires that have raged in the Gironde region for days.
  • French Interior Minister Laurent Nuñez said 40,000 people had either been or were in the process of being evacuated from the peninsula, which has the Atlantic on one side and the Bay of Arcachon on the other.
  • Around 20,000 people within the Gironde region had been evacuated on Thursday many of whom were visitors to campsites on the peninsula.
  • Spanish forest fires 'ravaging thousands of hectares' In Spain, firefighters are tackling wildfires in several areas not far from Madrid and Interior Minister Fernando Grande-Marlaska declared a national emergency as fires burned at Villa del Prado and San Martín de Valdeiglesias in the Madrid region and at Burgohondo in Ávila.

What happened

More photos

France orders evacuation of tourist spot as hundreds flee wildfires by boat
France orders evacuation of tourist spot as hundreds flee wildfires by boat

Tens of thousands of people are being evacuated from the tourism destination west of Bordeaux, as firefighters continue to battle wildfires that have raged in the Gironde region for days. French Interior Minister Laurent Nuñez said 40,000 people had either been or were in the process of being evacuated from the peninsula, which has the Atlantic on one side and the Bay of Arcachon on the other. Around 20,000 people within the Gironde region had been evacuated on Thursday many of whom were visitors to campsites on the peninsula. Spanish forest fires 'ravaging thousands of hectares' In Spain, firefighters are tackling wildfires in several areas not far from Madrid and Interior Minister Fernando Grande-Marlaska declared a national emergency as fires burned at Villa del Prado and San Martín de Valdeiglesias in the Madrid region and at Burgohondo in Ávila. It will stand by your side during the emergency and in the recovery." Local emergency services said more than 10,000 people had been evacuated. Get in touch Are you in an affected region?

Read full story (BBC News) Share on X Facebook WhatsApp

Related on this blog

Source: BBC News

Automated digest: summary generated from publicly available RSS + article pages.

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post