Houthis claim attack on oil tankers as US launches more strikes on Iran
Houthis claim attack on oil tankers as US launches more strikes on Iran - Published Yemen's Houthis say they have attacked two Saudi oil tankers in the...
Key points
- Houthis claim attack on oil tankers as US launches more strikes on Iran - Published Yemen's Houthis say they have attacked two Saudi oil tankers in the Red Sea as the US launched its 12th consecutive night of strikes on Iran.
- Iranian state media said two people had been killed in the US strikes on Wednesday, and a tanker caught fire in an explosion in a mined route in the Strait of Hormuz.
- Ahead of the latest round of strikes, US President Donald Trump had threatened to destroy an Iranian bridge or power plant if Iran attacked a ship in the strait and to "take care of" the Houthis if they blocked the Red Sea.
- Meanwhile, the Iranian Revolutionary Guard (IRGC) said the Strait of Hormuz was "completely closed" after an explosion in the channel, Iranian state media reported.
What happened
More photos


Houthis claim attack on oil tankers as US launches more strikes on Iran - Published Yemen's Houthis say they have attacked two Saudi oil tankers in the Red Sea as the US launched its 12th consecutive night of strikes on Iran. Iranian state media said two people had been killed in the US strikes on Wednesday, and a tanker caught fire in an explosion in a mined route in the Strait of Hormuz. Ahead of the latest round of strikes, US President Donald Trump had threatened to destroy an Iranian bridge or power plant if Iran attacked a ship in the strait and to "take care of" the Houthis if they blocked the Red Sea. Meanwhile, the Iranian Revolutionary Guard (IRGC) said the Strait of Hormuz was "completely closed" after an explosion in the channel, Iranian state media reported. It comes after Trump promised earlier on Wednesday to attack an Iranian bridge or power plant if its forces hit ships in the Strait of Hormuz. Few details of the "maritime embargo" were given by the Houthis when it was announced on Monday, but a media official said they were closing the Bab al-Mandab Strait - the Red Sea's southern gateway - to Saudi vessels.