US wants Iran to pledge to stop shooting at ships in Strait of Hormuz

US wants Iran to pledge to stop shooting at ships in Strait of Hormuz - BBC News
World News

US wants Iran to pledge to stop shooting at ships in Strait of Hormuz

- 3 min read - Source: BBC News
TOP SUMMARY

US wants Iran to pledge to stop shooting at ships in Strait of Hormuz - Published The US wants Iran to publicly state that the Strait of Hormuz is open...

Related topics

Key points

  • US wants Iran to pledge to stop shooting at ships in Strait of Hormuz - Published The US wants Iran to publicly state that the Strait of Hormuz is open and to pledge to stop firing on commercial ships as part of negotiations due to be held on Saturday.
  • Trump has said both sides have agreed to continue talks despite this week's fighting over the Strait of Hormuz.
  • In June the US and Iran signed a ceasefire agreement where Iran would, in part, give safe passage to commercial ships.
  • Let's keep talking.'" In a briefing for reporters on Friday, the US officials said a message to Tehran's leadership had been conveyed through regional mediators demanding Iran release a statement declaring the strait open and that it will stop shooting at commercial ships, according to multiple media reports.

What happened

US wants Iran to pledge to stop shooting at ships in Strait of Hormuz - Published The US wants Iran to publicly state that the Strait of Hormuz is open and to pledge to stop firing on commercial ships as part of negotiations due to be held on Saturday. Trump has said both sides have agreed to continue talks despite this week's fighting over the Strait of Hormuz. In June the US and Iran signed a ceasefire agreement where Iran would, in part, give safe passage to commercial ships. Let's keep talking.'" In a briefing for reporters on Friday, the US officials said a message to Tehran's leadership had been conveyed through regional mediators demanding Iran release a statement declaring the strait open and that it will stop shooting at commercial ships, according to multiple media reports. Iran has repeatedly said the only "safe" passage is a separate route through its waters. During the conflict, Iran sought to assert its sovereignty over the strait, including by establishing the "Persian Gulf Strait Authority", which it said would manage "safe passage permits".

Read full story (BBC News) Share on X Facebook WhatsApp

Related on this blog

Source: BBC News

Automated digest: summary generated from publicly available RSS + article pages.

Post a Comment

Previous Post Next Post