⚡ Latest Update • Aug 21, 2026
Breaking: ESPN reports significant developments in Sports World. Global Plus News brings you this verified summary with key insights and analysis.
Sankey: Pros returning to school 'fuels disruption'
SEC commissioner Greg Sankey said allowing athletes who have signed professional contracts back into college sports "fuels disruption" and should not be...
Key points
- SEC commissioner Greg Sankey said allowing athletes who have signed professional contracts back into college sports "fuels disruption" and should not be allowed, according to an affidavit filed in a Louisiana courthouse last week.
- Sankey asked Judge Ronald Johnson in East Baton Rouge Parish court to uphold NCAA rules that prevent athletes from returning, saying the decision is "essential to the integrity of college sports." He wrote that allowing pros back into NCAA competition would undermine the "fundamental principles" of college sports and unfairly harm high school students looking to join a college team as well as other teams that have followed the existing rules.
- "The rules align the time permitted for college athletics with the pursuit of an undergraduate education and further the important purpose of preserving opportunities for future student-athletes to participate in college sports." The affidavit was in response to a lawsuit filed by former St.
- Luis' case is being adjudicated in the same courthouse as a similar lawsuit filed Wednesday that includes several football players who signed pro contracts this summer and are now aiming to return to college.
What happened
More photos


SEC commissioner Greg Sankey said allowing athletes who have signed professional contracts back into college sports "fuels disruption" and should not be allowed, according to an affidavit filed in a Louisiana courthouse last week. Sankey asked Judge Ronald Johnson in East Baton Rouge Parish court to uphold NCAA rules that prevent athletes from returning, saying the decision is "essential to the integrity of college sports." He wrote that allowing pros back into NCAA competition would undermine the "fundamental principles" of college sports and unfairly harm high school students looking to join a college team as well as other teams that have followed the existing rules. "The rules align the time permitted for college athletics with the pursuit of an undergraduate education and further the important purpose of preserving opportunities for future student-athletes to participate in college sports." The affidavit was in response to a lawsuit filed by former St. Luis' case is being adjudicated in the same courthouse as a similar lawsuit filed Wednesday that includes several football players who signed pro contracts this summer and are now aiming to return to college. The more recent...